Celebrating Madiba Day
The Lakeside Property Blog and Chas Everitt are set to join South Africa today in it’s commeration of Nelson Mandela day! The Chas Everitt Team have donated blankets to Somerset Retirement Home in Muizenberg and Carlisle Lodge in Fish Hoek.
If you planning to take part in Nelson Mandela Day, but just clear forgot to organise anything? Here a few easy ways to give 67 minutes of your time, without much planning or worry required.
- Bake a cake and give it away – We’re taking inspiration from Cape Town’s Girl with Cake here, but if you’re good in the kitchen then why not share your talent? Go on: whip up a chocolate cake and go give it away
- Go introduce yourself to the neighbours – Nelson Mandela was all about building communities, and the best way to start is with the very first step,or the very first 10 steps to your neighbour’s front door. Invite their kids over to play, or take them a home-baked treat, or just knock and introduce yourself. It doesn’t take much.
- Volunteer to wash someone’s car – Even better, set up a free carwash. A bucket, a sponge and some soapy water is all it takes to put a smile on a stranger’s dial.
- Clean up your street – Grab your friends, or better, your neighbours, and a couple of black bags and head to pavement. The community that cleans together, well… is clean. Such an easy way to give back, and it’ll benefit you too!
- Give blood – It’s that simple. Head to a blood donation drive or your local clinic, roll up your sleeve, sit for a while and leave. Good deed done.
- Smile and wave – If you can’t doing anything else, then spend July 18th smiling and waving. The least you can do to spread a bit of cheer. Just acknowledging people can be a really huge service to society. You might even want to try high-fiving?