Ten Cape Town beaches have been awarded Blue Flag status for the upcoming summer season.
Blue Flag is an international accreditation awarded to beaches that display excellence through meeting 33 criteria covering four categories: environmental education and information, water quality, environmental management, and safety and services.
Bikini Beach in Gordons Bay, Camps Bay, Clifton Fourth Beach, Fish Hoek, Llandudno, Melkbosstrand, Mnandi, Muizenberg, Silwerstroomstrand and Strandfontein ticked the boxes and were awarded Blue Flag Status.
How many times have you driven past this property? Did you know it is the oldest domestic residential building in South Africa built in 1673, in the Main Road, Muizenberg, known as De Post Huys.
HET POSTHUYS MUSEUM is one of the oldest buildings in South Africa, dating to circa 1742. It was built by the Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie or VOC) as a toll-house to levy a tax on farmers passing by to sell their produce to ships lying in Simon’s Bay. One of the early postholders was Sergeant Muys (meaning “mouse”), from whom Muizenberg (formerly Muysenbergh and Muys Zijn Bergh (Muys’ mountain) before that) gets its name.
After a varied career as a police station, stables, brothel, hotel and private house the building was identified for what it was in the 1980s and restored with funds from Anglo American Corporation. The house is cared for by the Muizenberg Historical Conservation Society and contains a small collection of photos and items of interest relating to early days in Muizenberg. It is open to the public.
Main Road, Muizenberg. First mapped in 1687; served as a look-out post for enemy ships entering False Bay. Later uses include preventing contraband trading, a storage place for naval goods, an ale and eating house, and a private residence. Anglo-American restored it in 1982-1983. It is run by the Muizenberg Historical Conservation Society. On-site is a video tracing its layered history.
The Muizenberg Mountain Run – “The Turkey Earner” will take place on the 29 November 2014. This a tough 14km trail run ideal for the fitter trail runner.
Runners are asked to a park their cars at The Toad Pub in Lakeside and then walk or jog up to the starting point (1.6km distance) to warm up.
The official race starting point will be at the bottom of the foot path and the runners will finish at The Toad on the Road (runners will run the last section of the tarred road to the finish)
Start: 07h00 for first batch (20 runners) and then every 2 minutes there-after.
Prize giving – 11h30 at Toad in the Road
This event sells out fast! Entries will open end at the end of August.